Thursday, June 30, 2011

Jiu Jitsu Book Club!

Why?

Because I want to.
Because it’s summer and that means summer reading!
Because no one else will invite a fighter girl into their refined book discussion group.
Because, damn it, we may choke out our competition, but we do it with intellectual (aka nerdy) style!
Because, in the last few months, I have come to value the opinions and perspectives of the readers and bloggers I have met online.

So, here’s the deal . . .

I created a Google Group for anyone who wants to read a book together and discuss it from our unique jiu jitsu perspectives. (I just started reading Yann Martel’s Beatrice and Virgil—we could read that or another choice selected by the group.)

So, if you wanna get your discussion on, follow the link here or below.



4 comments:

  1. This is a delightfully nerdy idea. I am excited to finally being able to read books for fun again, having just finished grad school.

    I've never been involved in a book discussion before, though. Actually, that's a lie. I randomly took a class on short stories in undergrad. We talked about a new story each week and it was emotionally exhausting!

    How much structure would the google group discussion have? Would someone act as a moderator and lead discussion or would it be a free for all? Would there be a deadline to read the book by? Will I be harshly judged if I say I'm interested and then cop out for whatever reason? What if I find a book boring and don't want to read it all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never really done this either, so thought it could work organically, figure\ing it out as we go along. If anyone has done this on-line and has ideas/suggestions, please advise. Right now I have the settings on everyone being able to post to everyone, and members have to be "approved."
    I won't judge if you want to try it but it doesn't work out for you. Hopefully we won't pick a boring book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. C'mon Ash, join the group!

    I've only done book club once before. I had to stop because of the demographic of the group. I was young enough to be the child of any of the other members. Lots of conversations about how the young people of today were 'bad'.

    And more importantly book club interfered with BJJ training.

    I think we'll be able to figure it out as we go along. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about "The Lazy Man's Guide to Grappling" by Bakari Akil?

    Justin

    ReplyDelete

Shark Girl Is Ready to Pull the Plug on Her "New" Gym

I need your jiu jitsu therapy again, o vast and all-knowing readers.  About a year Before Covid (BC), my native gym closed down--the one whe...